Tuesday, December 19, 2006

How Very Fetching

Take my word for it. This glove has a match and I made another pair in black. But I can't take a picture of them to save my life.

Pattern: Fetching by Cheryl Niamath
Yarn: One pair in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (used the entire ball) and one pair in Filatura di Crosa Zara (had a bit left over from one ball)
Needles: Knit Picks Options 40 inch circulars, size US 5
Modifications: See the previous post for notes about running short with one ball of Cashmerino Aran. Annie noted in the comments that she solved this problem by working one fewer rib row between the cuff and thumb. That seems like a better solution, one which I will use when knitting this pattern again with CA.

Zara, I think, is an excellent substitute yarn for Fetching. It has the same smooth, silky, squishy feel as the Debbie Bliss yarn and is equally luxurious. Plus, there's plenty of yarn in one ball to make a pair. I had enough left over that I could have made the cuff or hand portion a little longer, if I needed to. Zara is machine washable and about the same price as a ball of CA, as well. The only real difference is that it is 100% merino rather than a cashmere blend.

This is a great pattern, easily memorizable and very quick to knit. The cables are fun. Plus, the gloves are, well, fetching... very attractive indeed. I will be giving these to a sister and an aunt who live in California. For a temperate climate, I think they are perfect. Of course, even Cleveland is temperate these days. Gloves for global climate change. What more could you want?

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

So pretty! And you're right, Fetching are the perfect gloves for California weather.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Very pretty Fetching! I haven't used the Zara but I do love soft and skwooshy yarn.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Very nice -- and that's a great colour!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the fingerless gloves! Great yarn, great color, great finished object!

And yes, it is incredibly warm isn't it? Highly, highly unnerving. But I'm taking advantage of the trend to spend a lot of time outdoors with my dog. There have to be some short-term benefits to global warming, right?

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Fetching! I'll have to try Zara for a pair.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Very pretty! I did mine with the picot cast off, but I think I like the look of yours better.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

I'm thinking of making some fingerless gloves after the holidays.

2:48 PM  
Blogger mary said...

Your fetchings are so... fetching! Beautiful color too.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you! And they're great. I like fingerless gloves because one can still buckle carseats without taking off the glove.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Fetching was one of my favorite things to make. Your came out so pretty!

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for your tips on how to squeeze a pair from one ball of the cashmerino. that's probably why i haven't knitted them yet ... you know, knitter's anxiety....

6:14 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I just love those Fetching gloves, too. They are very pretty, and California practical! I've made two pair this Christmas, and have some yarn set aside to hopefully make a pair for me!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Very lovely! They look so Victorian vintage. (I lived in Northern CA in SF and Oakland for a couple of years. I think Mark Twain once said that the coldest summer he ever had was in SF!)

*sigh* Yet more scrumptious yarn to try. . . .

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...favorite color.

--O

9:13 PM  
Blogger kim said...

I have a pair that Sarina, sent me, and I love them. They amazingly keep your hands really warm...

I've been tagged for a meme, so now I'm tagging you... I would like to hear 6 weird things about you... See my blog for the meme.

Kim

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't go wrong with Fetching!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Very cute! Yeah what's up with the complete lack of winter? I like the snow! Puts me in the holiday spirit and all...

I think sweaters for your little guys would be perfect for the manly gift along! do you want me to add you to the blog?

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! My hands are small, so I'm hoping I can just shorten mine a bit and not have to worry about yarn amounts...

9:37 AM  
Blogger knitannie said...

They're stunning. Great gifts

8:28 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, this pattern is so much fun, isn't it? I'm slightly addicted as well...yours are real beauts!

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great! I love them! What a pretty color too!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really like the gloves! You did a great job

marly

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home