Thursday, January 25, 2007

First Son ... First FO of 2007

Pattern: The Seamless Hybrid by Elizabeth Zimmermann, from Knitting Without Tears
Yarn: Just a bit more than 2 skeins of Plymouth Encore Worsted, color #670
Needles: Knit Picks Options circulars, size US8
Finished chest size: 28 inches

I finished this sweater this weekend and S has worn it twice. He likes. Yay! I almost immediately cast on another one for his little brother, and I'm already on the second sleeve. It's really the perfect study project.

Many others have waxed poetic about the virtues of this pattern and EZ's sweaters in general, but allow me to add a little in the way of adulation. This pattern is GENIUS. In particular, the system of percentages is so brilliantly simple and elegant. And it works. I also love doing the body and the sleeves first ... no getting stuck on Sleeve Island. You get the dull parts over with first and then you get to finish up with a bang.

I did hems on the sleeves and at the bottom and a 1x1 rib at the neck. The hem facings (pictured here) are knit in a little bit of blue heather Wool-Ease I had lying about. For the bottom hem, I knit the cast on row together with the appropriate round farther up. The sleeve hems I whipstitched after finishing the whole sweater. I actually prefer sewing the hems; I think they look nicer. For J's sweater, I'm doing a shallow little 1x1 rib edging at sleeves and bottom. Lisa, you asked about the decreases ... I had a little trouble getting a good picture of them, but perhaps they are more visible here. Click for bigger.

I had some trouble with the bind-off at the neck. My first two attempts were too tight, to say the least. (I made J try it on and it would NOT go over his head. He was shouting, "I don't want it! I'm stuck! I'm stuck!") Then, my dear friend PCR showed me the crochet bind-off. It's changed my life. By the way, she's finally blogging, so go over there and show her some love. Check out her beautiful Shetland Triangle!

Also, I'm proud to say that I grafted the underarms. Naturally, PCR had to chant the instructions at me while I did it, but it worked. A goal for 2007: Fear Kitchener No More.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and encouragement, again. I am trying to keep up with things, but it's tough. I have found out that I am 99% certain to be able to take the exam in February. My background check is done, and I just have to be interviewed by a member of the Bar Association. Presumably, this is to ensure that I am not certifiably insane, a junkie, etc. Since I tend to clean up pretty well and can be presentable, and assuming that the interview can be scheduled in time (I don't see why it wouldn't), I think it'll be a go. Gulp. Gotta study.

ETA: Received notice of interview today! It's on the 30th. Wish me luck!

Labels: ,

41 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

Both the sweater and the son looks great!!!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you find the percentages worked out for child proportions? I tried a bottom-up raglan using Jackie Fee's percentages for my daughter and it came out all wonky. The seamless hybrid looks perfect on your son - I'll definitely have to give it a try.

10:39 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

That is adorable. Good job! Good luck with the studying too!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater!!!! It really came out fantastic. And your son is adorable. :) Best of luck on the bar - I'm sure it's more stressful taking it in February, but then again, it will be nice to get it done and over with. :)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a sweet boy and a cute sweater! Yay for you.

Good luck with all the studying and preparations.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son looks so cute! Hope the studying goes well!

11:11 AM  
Blogger mary said...

I love this sweater! I keep hearing about EZ's percentages and I need to spend a little bit of time reading about it. Great job and he's such a cutie!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sweet - and so is the sweater!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

That color is so nice with his dark hair. Looks great.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sweater is adorable! I'm gearing up to knit EZ's seamless yoke sweater, so I'm glad to hear that her percentage system is pure genius. :)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Thanks for the pics of beautiful sweater and beautiful sons! I wish I had smaller people to knit for...I could make more FOs that way.

My husband had that "interview" with the bar association here in NYC...it might have been a NY thing, but he said they were just herded like cattle through a series of rooms and maybe talked to one person for all of 5 minutes before being herded on. Very much no big deal! He even managed to pass the exam on the first try, despite hating law school and spending most of his study time taking yoga classes. He happened to walk by when I was reading your blog post with the picture are barbri books, and he had a little fit. Running around muttering "barbri" under his breath and groaning for a while. It was a least a half hour before he was coherent again.

What I'm trying to say is - I know that what you're going thru is insanely hard, and painful. But it'll all be over soon, you'll have incredible earning potential and opportunities to choose from, and as long as you hide the barbri books deep in the closet, there won't even be any scars to haunt you! :-)

11:56 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

That sweater is so cute and classic! :)

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can knit a sweater that beautiful (that your child will actually wear) the bar exam should be a piece of cake.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

S looks great in his new sweater! That's a nice color on him.

Thanks for the plug.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! I agree, EZ is brilliant.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! Maybe that's what I'll do for JCC's next sweater. But somehow I feel compelled to put a skull on the front. Kinda ruins the good EZ warm fuzzies but I think he'd love it.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

fantastic! it's always a relief to see all that hard work paying off when they actually WANT to wear what you made for them. nicely done.

and also, good luck with the bar. is that 5 days from now? wait, of course it is... february doesn't have a 30th.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great sweater! And a handsome young man wearing it too. I'll be rooting for you on the bar!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck!! and nice work on the sweater.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck! What a nice sweater you made for your son.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, only two skeins of Encore! That stuff just gives and gives, huh? The sweater looks perfect, really. Thanks for the tip on the crochet binding, too.

I think it helps so much to have someone chanting difficult pattern instructions to you. It's the only reason I overcame my fear of lace. I'm sure you be a Kitchener Master in no time!

Good luck with the interview!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Adorable!!! Good luck with all of your studying!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, so cute! Great job!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the sweater looks gorgeous and super warm. glad the pattern worked well for you, and i just love the idea of doing the 'boring' first! :0)
p.s good luck with the interview!

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater. And good luck with the interview!

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful sweater for a beautiful boy!

2:38 AM  
Blogger katarinaw said...

It looks absolutely fab! I've seen so many lovely jumpers made from this pattern and it's convinced me I have to try it too!

Very cute photos too!

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sweater! Good luck with the studying.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater! I wish you luck!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks wonderful - love it!

Good luck on the 30th :o)

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sweater, particularly the hemmed sleeves. I like that look. Good luck on the 30th!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Laura. x

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of a sudden I've started seeing that sweater all over the internet, and everyone is singing its praises. I must go dig out KWT.

Good luck with your interview, and the test, and then the waiting for the results, and then your illustrious career as an officer of the court! (Assuming this is the first time you've taken the bar...? I can't remember. I'm starting to doubt myself and think it isn't.)

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater (and its wearer) are both adorable!

Buckets and buckets of luck on the interview -- you're certain to wow them!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the interview! Don't forget to leave your junkie costume at home. Instead, you might want to go with a lovely sweater like the one you just made. Or do have to look super-fancy? If so, I recommend a prom dress. Nothing says serious and fancy like a prom dress. Especially for the bar.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely!
Good luck with the thing . . . why did you choose law?

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie--and a great sweater, too. Congrats on the interview; I can't imagine that you won't knock them dead tomorrow.

9:38 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Hey! Your sons are SO cute! And I'm deligted that you managed to knit a sweater that was accepted by the recipient (I just put a model I knit on Owen to try for fit, and he freaked out - good thing I didn't make it for him!).

And wow, the bar - best of luck with that! Have you figured out how to study while knitting? ;-)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Nice sweater. Yay he likes!!!

2:52 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Very disappointed to be alerted to a new blog entry, only to discover it was a postscript to the last one... no, seriously, the very best of luck and you are formally excused blogging duties herewith. As they say on Queer Eye, 'You go, girlfriend!'

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home