Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Small Blessings

Here are my Green-Socks-in-progress, posing atop my Contracts notes. The socks couldn't help but look beautiful in that company, but I'd be impressed with them in any setting. The yarn is Knit Picks Memories, in the Fly Fishing colorway. I was gifted this lovely yarn by Purl, my Yarn Aboard pal.

I admit, as taken as I was by this yarn in the skein, I was very nervous about knitting it up. Frequent visitors of this blog may recall that I have had very dramatic pooling issues with this yarn in the past. In fact, those issues led me to give up on that pair of socks altogether. So imagine my grateful surprise when, on my first attempt with these skeins, I got the perfect size and no pooling whatsoever. Huzzah!

The EZ sweater is going well, but has stalled for technical difficulties. I decided on the Seamless Hybrid and I am working on the saddles. The problem is, at this point, La Zimmermann's pithy instructions become less like guidelines and more like a pattern. I can't figure out how many rows to knit back and forth for each saddle for the size that I am making. Can anyone help?

I forgot to mention that I am knitting this sweater for the Manly Giftalong and here's the "man" I'm knitting for. Luckily, there's no Sweater Curse for sons.

Unless, of course, you consider the ever-present-with-kids possibility that the sweater will be lovingly knit and then summarily rejected.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Mama Urchin said...

The striping looks great. I actually thought you were switching yarns when I first saw it. Nice work.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am also working on my first EZ, also the seamless hybrid. I am at the point where you join the body and sleeves. Could you possibly post a picture of your decreases at that section? Mine just doesn't look "right". If I make it to the saddles and can figure them out, I will gladly share!

Thanks

6:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm no help - that's about the point when my Seamless Hybrid turned into a Yoke Sweater. :)

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the no-pooling! Nice project for a studying brain.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice socks and a great pic of your son. Your boys have the nicest hair.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I love curling up with my law review books and a sock. Oh wait. I meant my lab puppy and a sock. But you enjoy those books!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Flyfishing is gorgeous! I'm glad it's not pooling.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is such a cute picture of your son! is that J or . . . the other one? (I can't remember the letters!)

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors too! I got some Knitpicks sock yarn from Jennifer/Craftylily in a swap, and I'm happy to see that it looks so good. And that picture! So much cuteness! I'm sure he'll love the sweater.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks look great!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, they look lovely. I have two skeins of that sitting in my stash because the pooling drove me crazy. What size needles are you using?

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colours in that sock. It's looking great .... so far. (knocks on wood)

12:49 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

At a very minimum, the little sweeties will outgrow said sweaters. *sigh* Say it ain't so.

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, maybe the son sweater curse is that you knit it for him and he NEVER leaves. :-) (I know, I'm such a cynic.)

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are great, and your son is a total cutie!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Oooh the striping is looking good!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you like the yarn, and that it's not pooling. I have some gorgeous yarn from my Yarn Aboard pal and am struggling to find the perfect pattern.

Hope your studying is going better than mine--work is too crazy right now.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Persnickety Knitter said...

I know what you mean about the "lovingly knit and then summarily rejected" possibility. One of my daughters is like that. The other loves everything. ;)

The socks are looking great.

12:26 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

The yarn is amazing - I am going to have to scoop me some skeins of this!! I am so curious about Yarn Aboard?!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great! Be careful washing the Knitpicks Memories. It felts like the dickens...

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home