Friday, February 02, 2007

This and That Friday

So... sorry about all the not-new feeds ... affiknitty has officially switched to the New Blogger. I feel compelled to make up for it with a new post. And thanks, too, for all the nice comments about the Son and the Sweater.

The interview was a complete joke. I was there for, maybe, ten minutes. As I have little to explain in my past (frankly, I'm completely square), there wasn't much to talk about. I suppose there was that shockingly large stash of Wool-Ease, but I don't think the Bar Admissions committee is worried about lack of judgment in stash enhancement. (Thank God.) Anyway, my application is being approved and that means come February 27th, I will be in Columbus sitting for the exam. Gulp.

Monday night PCR and I went to a local venue for a little musical entertainment. We saw Asobi Seksu and they were fantastic. I highly recommend that you see them if you like shoegaze-dream-pop and they visit your hometown. Opening for them was a local band, Bears, who were excellent as well. They play a lovely, ever-so-slightly psychedelic indie pop reminiscent of Belle and Sebastian. The percussionist/glockenspiel player is the roommate of S's tutor, so I am especially pleased to let people know about them.

The knitting is going surprisingly well. I continue to be obsessed with knitting sweaters for small boys. Expect an FO post on J's EZ sweater very soon. I am already in the planning stage for sweater #3 for my nephew. Startitis has also set in. Yesterday, I toddled off to the big-box craft store, for the sole purpose of purchasing a large crochet hook to bind off the neck of J's sweater.

You can imagine how successful I was at buying only one crochet hook. They had Patons SWS (70% wool, 30% soy), a yarn which I have been wanting to try, so I picked up a little and cast on while listening to my Commercial Paper lecture. If Nona swatches, Laura can too.

The yarn is wonderful to knit with, soft and silky feeling. But ugh, this striping! This is the Natural Denim colorway, and the swatch measures 6 inches wide by 4.5 inches high. I was hoping for shorter color repeats and more gradual changes. SWS, take two ... this time with Natural Plum.

This is the beginnings of a house sock for me, knit in 3x1 rib. I'm not sure if this is hideous or beautiful. In any case, this is what I had in mind in terms of color changes and repeats. They will make warm and comfy socks and I think the colors will make me smile. Now, I really need to hit the books.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck! I'm not sure if I will be ready to take the Feb bar here in Texas--we're too busy at work, so I haven't gotten any time off to study. May have to postpone until next July. (From your yarn aboard pal--new blogger has me sign in with my gmail account)

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with further studying and have fun knitting those house socks, the colors look fun!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it's pretty!

Good luck with the continued preparations. Glad the interview went well.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Oooh, I like that second SWS swatch.

Wishing you all the best!!!

11:31 AM  
Blogger jennie said...

Congrats on the successful interview... I'm sure you'll sail through the bar.

And I think the housesock striping is beautiful... nothing like a warm, comfy pair of socks to help you work harder :)

11:46 AM  
Blogger knitography said...

Haha! I have had that exact same experience at many a yarn store. "I'm just here for these needles...ooh look, pretty!" Good luck on the exam!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

And you're back! You've been missed. Hope to see you tomorrow.

I love the SWS. Such yummy colors.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I vote for beautiful.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I wish I could use those soy yarns, everyone seems to like them - but my daughter is allergic to soy. :(

5:09 PM  
Blogger Dr. B. said...

Just in case we didn't believe that you are "completely square", you made sure to mention you're friends with the glockenspiel player. That. Is. So. Gloriously! Square!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home