Monday, March 19, 2007

Now I'm a Believer

Pattern: Cabled Footies by Leigh Radford in One Skein
Yarn: About half a skein of Peace Fleece
Needles: 3.75 mm Knit Picks Options circulars
Modifications: Decreased the toe a little differently to make it less pointy.

So, here they are, the entrelac-break footies. They're pretty cerebral, as socks go. The originals were pictured with Kierkegaard, but these are reading Hannah Arendt.

First of all, another big thank you to Brianne, who gave me this yarn a long time ago, either because I won a contest or she's a sweetie or, most likely, both. I have to say, I had heard many wonderful things about Peace Fleece, but I was a doubter. In the skein, it felt so scratchy. And kind of puny ... the stitches didn't look so pretty. But, then, I gave them a Eucalan bath. It made ALL the difference. Now I know what people mean by "the yarn really bloomed." I love this yarn. I am tempted to hoard.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my Lady Eleanor. I am about halfway done with it. This weekend I started the Must Have Cardigan (more on that soon) and it's nice to alternate between the entrelac and cables.

A bit of randomness: my friend Preeti and I have a new blog project! It's called Cleveland in Photos and we post a picture of our city every day. There's a fabulous and interesting community of city daily photo blogs that are well worth visiting. Anyway, drop by if you'd like a closer look at my wonderful hometown.

Also, check out Preeti's blog for a more "mathematically rigorous" version of the Knitting Happiness graph!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely socks! I've never tried Peace Fleece, although I've heard many good things about it - must try and hunt some down.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Your Peace Fleece socks are very intellectual! I've got to start reading actual books again. I'm lucky if I get the Newsweek read within a month.

I've heard many good things about Peace Fleece too. Was it scratchy to knit with?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Is that the worsted weight or their sock yarn? The socks look incredible...and I have my secret stash of Peace Fleece as always...but it's all worsted at the moment. Anyway, I'm so glad you've joined the Peace-Fleece-fan fold! I figure it's all because of the Russian wool content - Russians can be a little scratchy at first, too, until they get to know you, but then everything changes! :-)

I'm totally ga-ga over Lady Eleanor, by the way, and that's really saying something because I thought I'd NEVER be tempted by entrelac. But I am so very tempted by Lady Eleanor. I was intrigued already by that SWS, and it really looks like you've discovered the perfect use for it...

12:53 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Cute footies! Are you *really* reading that book? After having taken the bar, I would think that you'd be steeped in the trashiest novels possible! Danielle Steele, anyone? Anyway, off to look at your and Preeti's new blog!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Honesty moment. I am really THINKING ABOUT reading that book. Seriously. It's on the to-read-soon pile.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i like those! i've never tried peace fleece either but it sounds very intriguing.

love lady eleanor, btw! gorgeous!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

What cute footies! I'm intrigued by the Peace Fleece now. It does seem awfully scratchy in the skein, but the colors are just beautiful.

BTW, I'm loving the Lady Eleanor, too. Putting those two shades of SWS together was ingenious. I have the natural plum in my stash -- I may have to look for some natural earth, too.

3:16 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love the Peace Fleece booties, looking good!

Hannah Arendt kicks a$* btw...

4:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Very cute and warm!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Very nice - I made a pair, but sent them away. I'd love to have some of my own......someday!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

I've got to try these soon. Yours look great.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

Yay for beautiful socks! I love that you used the Peace Fleece to make socks for yourself. Wonderful choice!

I just made a blanket for baby using Peace Fleece and even though I've used the yarn before I was amazed at the transformation in the yarn once it was washed.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading that very book at the moment. weird.
The socks look great

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! they look sooo cozy. Perfect for this last angry bit of winter we all seem to be having.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Lovely footies! I've been thinking of making myself a pair of those very same socks, and in Peace Fleece too. :-) PF is great stuff. So glad you decided you like it!

12:39 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Nice socks! And I love, love, love your Cleveland photo blog. I have wanted to do something like that for Portland for the longest time, and maybe one of these days I actually will!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Great job on the finished socks! Looks like some heavy reading for footwear... but my home is so full of children's books that Charlotte's Web is about as heavy as it gets most days.
I'm plucking my way through Pride and Prejudice though... a busy mom still needs a little Jane Austin now and then.
Happy knititng,
ali
www.skeinsherway.com

8:22 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

So cozy! Makes me want to do something with the Peace Fleece I've been hoarding -- maybe I'll wash it first, so it's easier on the hands...

btw, Arendt kicks Kierkegaard's ass. ;)

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend and I are knitting the Everyday Cardigan with Peace Fleece, so your comment about washing makes me eager for the knitting part to be done!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

Love the photo
Love the socks!
Love especially the juxtaposition of the socks and the reading matter.
Really appeals to my sense of humour.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home