Monday, March 05, 2007

The Story of the Ugly Sweater

Let it never be said that Affiknitty is a mere vehicle for knitterly showing off. Today, I uncover my sartorial shame. This, my friends, is the Ugly Sweater. Technically, it is an Elizabeth Zimmermann seamless yoke sweater and it was knit in Wool-Ease Thick and Quick. I finished it the winter before I started blogging. Here is a (rather blurry, sorry) picture of it in better days.

Some things age well. Some things do not. Sadly, sweaters made of Thick and Quick (at least in this color) are in the latter category. It is ridiculously too large, pilling doesn't begin to describe the surface of the fabric, and it generally makes me look as though I am wearing the pelt of dead Muppets. Never is my tongue more firmly in my cheek about "cultivating fabulousness" than when I am donning the Ugly Sweater. And I have been wearing it a lot. It was the perfect study sweater. For some reason, S and J love it -- S has even brought it to me to put on. I even sleep in it.

But I came to the conclusion that this sweater really should not be making appearances outside Chez Affiknitty. I decided to knit another comfy, shapeless sweatshirt-alternative while I was studying. PCR very diplomatically agreed that this was a good idea. So, next on Affiknitty, the New Not-Ugly Sweater.

This brings to mind a question. Kimberly recently finished a beautiful Ribby Cardi. I commented that it seems to be a knitting Perfect Storm -- fun to knit and a pleasure to wear.
See what happens to you when you start hanging out with scientists?

For me, I must admit that the Ugly Sweater is one of those projects. But, even more, I loved knitting Clapotis and I wear it all the time. It was with me at the Decemberists concert AND the bar exam. What more can I say?

So, tell me. Which project do you love to wear as much as you loved to knit it?

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger PCR said...

I love the graph! The only problem is that they are both independent variables. I think we need to devise a 3D graph. I need details. Which software did you use to make it? Which projects do the points represent? etc.
I have to agree that Clapotis gets a five on both axes for me. I also have to put my retro-prep in the fun to knit and wear category.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Amen to Paul Newman aging well. How the heck can he be 82?

I think for me the Must Have cardigan was a joy to knit and i actually wear it in public. The sleeves need to be shortened though. Of course I also have numerous garments that I love but would not wear in any public venue.

11:14 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

clapotis for me as well! i wear it everywhere.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post is a hoot! Thanks for the laughs.

As for the loved project, I'm wearing it right now-- the "Go Everywhere Go With Everything Cardigan" from the first SnB book. I picked a funky yarn so it pills like the dickens but it's flattering and was easy to knit.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

PCR ... I made the graph with the first site that popped up when I googled "create graph on computer." C'mon, I'm an English major!

I actually thought about labelling the points, but then I thought that I should leave them plain, so that the viewer may project onto the graph their own conclusions about them. Ahem. That, or I couldn't figure out how to do it.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I have to say that I love most of my projects and wear them quite often. My current favorite is a Malabrigo sweater but it needs very light wear as it has potential to resemble your Thick and Quick sweater.

(Warning: yarn snob rant below)

I love when the low-quality yarns show their true colors. I recently made my niece a sweater from a long-stashed skein or two of Wool-Ease, and it looked like crap after one or two wears. Aren't those cheap-o yarns supposed to wear like iron? Hmmmm?

(end yarn snob rant)

12:07 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Rogue--no question about it.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Eunny Jang's Anemoi Mittens. I felt so clever making them, and they're great fun to wear, too!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

LOL - pelt of dead Muppets!! Loved that line.

Okay, do socks count? Because when I knit my Embossed Leaves I was sure the pattern was too hard for me. But I loved knitting them, and I when I want to wear my nicest socks I always reach for those.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! Yes, I do believe that this ribby will be one of my favorite sweaters of all time and knitting it was quite pleasurable, albeit mindless. Clapotis is yet another absolute favorite that could fit into my favortie-knitted-object-yet-mindless-knitting catagory.
Sometimes I just long for some lace to wrap my few functioning brain cells around. The problem is that I seldom wear the lace I knit. Oh well, there must be a give and take. OH and color work fascinates me which makes me a very happy knitter.
Just wanted to share. :)
kimberly
www.thegivingflower.de

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant category. I wish I had a brain-I'm seriously off to Oz next week to see what I can find. :)

3:16 PM  
Blogger PCR said...

I'm trying to decide if I should be embarrassed that I know someone who makes a graph on the "KidsZone" section of the National Center for Education Statistics. I must think about this a little harder. Look for more about the math of knitting happiness in the future.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'd have to say that my "perfect storm" would be my Central Park Hoodie - fun to knit, wonderful to wear!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow -you could probably win a pilling contest with that sweater!

3-D graph would be cool!

6:18 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Well, I love wearing the Klaralund but in all honesty HATED the tedium of making it....for me it would have to be Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts.

6:52 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I have to agree with the Clapotis. I adore it! :)

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wool Ease TnQ pills like crazy. I'll never use it again. I absolutely loved knitting my Rogue hoodie, and love, love, love wearing it.

9:29 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Pelt of muppets - love it! I love wearing knit socks - so warm and usually a joy to make! Also any slippers are a treat!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Robert Redford is in the list of "not aging well"--too true!

The project that for he had the highest love to knit, love to wear ratio has been the Pomatomus socks (the toe-up + top-down pair). I also find that my plain stockinette sock, which was such a satisfying and pleasant knit, has been even more successful as a wearable pair of socks than any of the more interestingly patterned pairs.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I think we've all got at least one horrid knitted sweater in our past. Mine is in the hands of an ex boyfriend were I hope to never lay eyes on it (or him) again. :)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Am Kamin. By far.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I changed my mind - Ene's Scarf. Wear it all the time.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Guido said...

I love to wear my scarf and hat every day.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home