Friday, May 18, 2007

Random Things

I didn't mean to let a week go by without blogging. But I have finished things to show!

Pattern: Basically Jaywalkers, except on 52 sts in DK weight. With no ribbing at the top. And a short row heel.
Yarn: Cider Moon Glacier in Cherry on Top (my new favorite colorway of all time!)
Needles: 3.0mm Addi Turbo circulars
Inspired by all the ripply goodness around the blogosphere, I knew I wanted some sort of wavy or chevron-type pattern. I tried several different stitch patterns, then finally settled on an adapted Jaywalker. I left off the ribbing so that it would be very ripply at the top. These are quite short little anklets and I love them. They are posing on a quilt that my great-grandmother made.

And here is the finished Patchwork Purse. It's blanket stitched together with lime embroidery floss, which I then whipped with purple. It looks pretty cute. Really, it's just lousy sewing, but hey, we all have to start somewhere. I left off the buttons; I may add a snap or other closure later.

Annie and Minty both tagged me for the 7 random things about me meme. So here ya go!

1. I own at least ten of those Putamayo world music CDs. This embarrasses me a little, because it smacks of that inauthenticity thing, but I love them. Right now, this one is my favorite.

2. At the rate S & J are going, I estimate that I will have seen this movie well over 200 times by the end of the summer.

3. Other than yarn (ahem), I have several small "collections." I collect teapots and teacups, things related to or picturing Paris, and 1940s-1960s Betty Crocker cookbooks. Oh, also ... I have a little problem with handbags and shoes.

4. I was 27 when I first got a driver's license and 32 before I drove a car on a regular basis.

5. Favorite domestic chores: grocery shopping and laundry. Least favorites: yardwork and cleaning the bathtub.

6. Jobs I have, at one time or another, had: babysitter, salesperson in a candy store, tax attorney, policy analyst, telephone fundraiser for my college, legislative assistant, salesperson in an American handcrafts store. Jobs that I have, at one time or another, wished I had: high school English teacher, bookseller, FBI agent, LYS owner, idle wealthy international jetsetter, restaurant owner, broadcast journalist (when I was 12!), rare book librarian.

7. My favorite time of day is between about 5 and 8 pm, on a clear summer evening.

And if you're game to play, you seven are tagged! Amy, Olga, Cat, Kate A., Ellen, Preeti, and Melinda.

ETA: I have no idea how I, comment whore that I am, managed to disable comments, but it's fixed now.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the socks turned out uber-cute! And is that Cherry On Top in your blog banner? You're an addict! :) The little fabric purse is really cute, too... I remember when I used to have time to sew...

7:16 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

I can see why that colorway is now your favorite, those socks are sooooo great!

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, perfect use of that colorway! What a great idea for ripply tops! Makes it seems more sundae-ish. ;)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The socks are so cute!

I love doing laundry too. There's really no way to explain it. I get such a great sense of satisfaction from it.

9:45 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Oh pretty pretty! I don't (cough) particularly like Jaywalkers, but I'd be dancing if I was wearing those! I certainly see why you're addicted!

I love doing laundry too! It's like alchemy, but you get clothes at the end - how good is that?! - and they smell nice too. And then you can make neat piles and feel like a domestic goddess. (I *loathe* ironing. There's no accounting for people is there?) xo

7:07 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Super-cute Jaywalker adaptation! I love that colorway, too.

I'm sorry I missed this tag yesterday, but others tagged me too, so I've gone all random myself. :) I love your list of professions--I can't decide what I want to be, still! And I live in fear of the time when Jacob can ask for a specific movie by name. At least you can knit?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Dr. B. said...

Deee-licious colorway and very cute socks!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I love that colorway! It reminds my of Neapolitan ice cream (my favorite). And those socks are awesome!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I love the colors of those socks too. I've never tried Cider Moon -- is it nice?

1:46 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

i've never really thought about it, but I think i like grocery shopping too. nice socks!

7:35 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

Love the socks, yarn and pattern. Beautiful just beautiful!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applied for as an idle wealthy international jetsetter. I got to the third round of interviews but didn't get the job in the end. It's super competitive.

You and Minty can do my grocery shopping any old time, by the way.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great jaywalkers! I haven't even seen Cars yet... maybe I should... since you seem to like it so much! ha ha

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh I really like these; it never occured ot me to make them with dk weight yarn.

2:51 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Those socks are super DUPER cute, you comment whore, you!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous jaywalkers -- I can see why you adore that colorway!

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the socks look great -- but I LOVE the quilt that they are 'resting' on. so pretty...

11:25 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

so very cute!

I'm debating buying some glacier - do you think one skein would be enough to knit a pair of socks (for me) on size 3 needles that aren't really short?

4:28 PM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Hey, that's me tagged! Oops! Just saw this now...I'm so completely out of it. Anyway - gorgeous socks. How come every time I come here, I leave inspired to start a new project and put something new on my stereo (I'm a sucker for world music too, which I bet doesn't surprise you...)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home