Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Shameless Copying

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes about my silly injury. Learn from me ... if you are working with unpleasant materials at a tight gauge, work slowly. It's much better now. After some Kool-Aid dyeing (a favorite summer activity), I am now back to frenzied sock knitting.

I saw Kris's beautiful stockinette socks with the cuff from Anna's Giotto pattern and could not stop thinking about them. I recalled that one of you even scored the exact yarn that she is using (Fleece Artist Merino Sock in Rose Garden) in my stash sale. What to do, what to do?

On Sunday, feeling rather grumpy, I sat down and watched some Knitty Gritty I had saved on the DVR. I finally saw the fabulous episode with Scout! This greatly improved my mood and inspired me to pull out the Kool-Aid and yarn and "play mad scientist," as she put it. A few hours later, I had some pink, green, yellow and white yarn of my very own.

Yesterday, I couldn't resist casting it on. It's pooling a bit, but not in an ugly way. The cuff! So pretty! (That Anna. She's a genius.)

Here's the other skein I dyed. This is Knit Picks Bare Worsted, and I think that it will become fingerless gloves or a hat, perhaps. Or another pair of Cabled Footies.

I was very happy with this one, as I think I figured out a recipe for a nice turquoise color. Yay!

At the risk of sounding a little corny, this post sums up one of the things about the knitbloggy community that I love the most -- being inspired by all the amazing knitters and dyers I've come to know!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Mama Urchin said...

We're planning some easter egg dye yarn dyeing (a bought a load when it was on clearance) as soon as I get my act together and order some yarn.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I think you are a Kool Aid genius. It all looks great, and if I may, "being inspired" is hardly shameless copying. ;)

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You achieved some very beautiful, subtle shades. I got Spaghettio colors when I dyed with Kool-Aid. Bravo!

4:26 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Not corny at all and I totally agree--and the blue is my fave as well!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm loving your dyeing adventures!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

That is a really nice turquoise!

That's what I love the most too... it's so hard to explain to other people, isn't it?

7:38 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Thank you for the link to that fabulous sock! Also love your hand dyed yarn - good job - especially fond of that turquoise!

7:52 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Such soft, pretty colors! You did a lovely job! I have a heap of undyed yarn and some dyes that have been sitting unused for almost a year. Maybe I need a minor injury to kick me into gear? ;)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mea said...

Are you doing magic loop? I have the hardest time with that. The socks look really pretty.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Dr. B. said...

Wait. Have you always done this dyeing thing or is this new for you? Because that is some unbelievably beautiful yarn you made. Like really, really beautiful.

Glad to hear you've bounced back from The Jute Incident. Lesson learned.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Love the pink and green yarn. Will make some great socks.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...and now I've started Giotto! When I saw your sock I said, hey I have that pattern somewhere, and now I've started it myself! Love the yarn you dyed, really, really gorgeous!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Wow! That turned out great! Love the colors! Now you've got me wanting to try that- everything crafty is sooo contagious! I just want to try it all...
There are never enough hours in my days, nor days in my weeks...
Have fun with that yarn,
happy knitting-
ali

7:15 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Those colors are absolutely beautiful! You do such great work. It is inspiring me to give "dying it myself" a go, although I think I'd have a giant pile of brown by the end! I can't wait to see how beautiful this knits up.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks...and I love that cuff...care to share the pattern with us...

Diane

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home