Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Price of Dillentantism

... is that you rarely finish projects, and therefore have little to blog about. Also, I've been battling a case of the Blahs-Blehs-Blues, which tends to sap one's enthusiasm for most things.

Mostly what I've been doing in the last week or so is a little embroidery, a little sewing, and a whole lot of starting knitting projects. Ravelry really ought to come with a warning label:

Bearing down on me like a vicious tornado is the deadline for Sockapalooza. Naturally, knowing that I should be working on Deadline Knitting only makes me want to do Anything Else. Like sewing a new bag!

I made this from Nancy's extremely fantastic tutorial. I love that it is reversible, allowing me to show off both pretty fabrics. I made the handles shorter than she instructed and included a flannel inner liner in place of interfacing. This latter nifty tip I learned from Amy Karol's book, Bend-the-Rules Sewing. Really, if you have any interest in learning to sew, or already love to sew, you need to run out and buy this book. It is so lovely and inspiring and really full of helpful information.

I swear, in my next post, there will be knitting.

**********

Link-o-Rama!

- Sulafaye has posted what may be the Ultimate Variegated Sock Pattern!
- Have you heard about Pandora Radio? It's the brainchild of the Music Genome Project. You tell them your favorite song or artist and, through some sort of computer magic, they create a radio station that will play music that has similar characteristics.
- This looks like a delicious and easy refrigerator pickles recipe. If anyone has a similar recipe for sour and garlicky pickles, please let me know!
- Cutest baby booties ever.
- I want to make this sweater right this minute. Must ... finish ... sockpal ... socks!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waaaaiiittt a minit. Dillitentism needn't impair your blogging. After all, if startitis combined with an inability to finish items means no blog fodder, I'm doomed (along with many other bloggers I know)!
I redefined blog fodder to include process photos -- progress photos even, and two rows of something as-yet-unidentifiable is thus a perfectly reasonable blog shot.

Show us what you've started.... so we can join you in the joy of having something in process of every needle you own.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Don't think f it as dilletantism-think of it as unbounded creativity! (That's how I justify my entire existence.)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love those totes! Must check out that tutorial. I really like the swirl socks too. I may have to knit it...

12:49 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

love the bag! i'm impressed by your reversible bag making skills. :) and i just ordered amy karol's book and i'm SO excited. i've heard nothing but good things about it.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

*moans*...I know, I know! I seriously am wanting that sweater too, especially since it's the Sexy Knitters Club featured pattern this month. But so not useful for Austin weather! And so many other projects I need to work on! Gah!

Your bag came out super cute! I love the fabrics, and thanks for that tip on the interfacing...I will definitely look for that book next time I'm at Borders. xoxo!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Gena said...

What an adorable bag! I really do need to learn how to use my nice sewing machine for more than just curtains and placemats. I think I just might have to pick up the book you recommended.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Ravelry - everyone wants to get in (including me) but then I think everyone gets sucked in.

2:52 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, Ravelry is destroying my marriage and turning my kids into foundlings!!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Wishful Knitting said...

Hey there- those are adorable booties- thanks for the link. Did you know that the sweater you like is the featured knit of Sexy Knitters Club? Not to add to your startitis : )

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the bag! I've heeded tales of woe like yours (but I still suffer from chronic stash acquisition) and stayed away from Ravelry (for now). Isn't Pnadora radio excellent. I listen to it at work a lot!

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha! I just posted to whine about my lack of knitting, too. Cute bags!

It's summer, I'm cutting us all a LOT of slack :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

As long as all your projects turn out as fabulous as the tote, you should start tons of them! Love the fabric.
-L

8:06 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Hey, no pressure! heh. Hope the blues go away soon. Perhaps you are just gathering energy for a burst of creativity!

4:12 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

The bag is so good looking!

4:21 AM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Oh, I am feeling the sting of Sockapalooza deadline too... and if I could sew at ALL, I'd be doing that instead. Clearly, I need some awesome reversible bags. I mean really, why is knitting during the summer like knitting underwater with oven mitts on?? So. Darn. Tedious. and Slow. Clearly, Sockapalooza should be an Autumn event.

11:46 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Ahhhh, I'm so glad that deadline knitting does that to someone else, too! I always find something new I just HAVE to start when I'm on a deadline. :)

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home