Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It Must Be the Yarn

I have noticed that, with my previous projects, crocheting has had a tendency to make my hands and wrists hurt. I don't generally have this problem with knitting, unless I am trying to knit heavy yarn at a much tighter than normal gauge.* I don't seem to be having this problem with Babette, and I have been hard pressed to put down the hook.

I think it must be the yarn. It's so soft and yummy and I'm going for a little drapey. Anyway, all other projects (poor Retro Redux) have been put on hold for now. You all are going to get sick of these pictures of squares. As for that, I think these babies are fairly photogenic, but they really look much lovelier in person. (Or maybe on your monitor, rather than mine.)

I've decided that the pastel colorways (like my beloved Cherry on Top) are not going to work and that mostly single colorway squares will be best. The key will be working with colors of similar value that look good together. In the picture above, I haven't quite decided about the pink squares. The one near the top left is Positano and the one at bottom right is Hot Flash. There should be some variation of light and dark, though; I don't think I will know for sure until I get more squares done and can lay them out together.

I'm sure there are some (many?) of you thinking that all this variegated crochet is going to look like a giant mess, but I think it will look fab when it's finished. I am hoping for something along the lines of a Pointillist painting ... more than the sum of its parts.

* That's why they call it Intolerable Cruelty.


Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Mama Urchin said...

I think it's going to be fun to see how the variegated yarn looks different in each square.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Dr. B. said...

Glad the squares are moving along pain-free! It seems really addictive. (Still. Resisting. Babette.)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Love it. I think the single-colorway squares are definitely the way to go. Can't wait to see the whole thing come together!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

The colors are awesome. :)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Gena said...

The colors look great through my screen! Excited to see it come together, and the variegated colors will make it look more interesting, IMO.

7:14 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I was skeptical but am loving the effect of them all together!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

I'm gald you're not in pain! I love all the colors and can only imagine the finished product! I'm sure it will be georgous!

9:35 AM  
Blogger teesagypsy said...

I love the colors!

And I think you might be onto something about the materials. Trying for the tight gauge will do that for you. I've had it happen before with worsted weight cotton (and it is happening again in dishcloth land, lol).

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think variegated squares will look fantastic! I'm with you on the crochet hurting the wrists. I think I hold the hook and yarn wrong though.

9:49 AM  
Blogger AnaMarie said...

I think it'll be great, especially if you do end up making some kind of hidden picture with the yarn, like a Pontillism portrait. It'll look amazing no matter what! I wasn't considering Babette, but looking at yours, it's getting mighty tempting...

10:51 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

I think the single-colorway squares will be very cool once they all come together.

So why do you think the crochet isn't painful this time round? Is it really because of the weight/gauge? Because I would definitely do a Babette if it didn't make my wrists catch fire...

2:10 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

I love all your sweet little squares!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

They are very photogenic squares! I love all the colors. It's going to be a gorgeous project.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your squares! I've often thought of starting this project but am afraid that I'll quickly tire of the granny squares. Maybe I'll just trust that I'll find them as addictive as you do!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

My mom does granny squares; it's the only thing she can do and she refuses to learn anything new. I got sick of them in my youth, but now I see others making them with beautiful yarn and it makes me want to crank out a few granny projects of my own!

Those are so pretty!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I can understand your addiction with it :) Loveliest colours.

8:49 AM  
Blogger christine (threedogknits) said...

I love the colors! I'm a long-time reader (finally delurking). I'm also a huge Decemberists fan. I was just looking at their website and I saw something and immediately thought of your blog. Did you know they have Decemberists embroidery kits? http://www.decemberistsshop.com/pages/embroidery_kit.htm I think I may have to learn to embroider.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

FUN!!I love the two little dark squares in the middle. One really reminds of poppys. Which then brings to mind my real life "Granny".

10:43 PM  
Blogger gretchen said...

i was planning to make my babette with silk garden....so no, i don't think all of those variegated squares are going to look like a giant mess at all.....they'll be lovely.

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home