Sunday, September 23, 2007

At Loose Ends, a Bit

I didn't mean to let so much time go by before posting again. The last few weeks have been pretty crazy. The good news is, I have a temporary job that may lead to a permanent position. It isn't legal work, but it's related to what I used to do. (I'll be working for a local investment bank; I used to be a corporate tax attorney. Don't hate me because I work for The Man.) I'll be starting next week. And I'm still looking for a job as an attorney.

The bad news is, my crafting/blogging mojo was seriously AWOL. I was starting lots of new projects and couldn't get enthused about any of them. Motivation for finishing WIPs has been at an all-time low. I kind of hit a wall with Babette. I think things are turning around, though. I'm enjoying these sock projects.

Check out that lovely self-striping sock. It's the Kaffe Fassett Regia yarn. The colors are delish; my photo really doesn't do it justice.

And I did finish something. But I can't say it was much fun.


Pattern: Fantine by French Girl
Yarn: Every last inch of 5 balls of Tahki Baby
Needles: US15 bamboo circulars

This was supposed to be an easy, fun, quick project. Sadly, no. Fantine, she was a little high maintenance. It wasn't difficult knitting, though I can't say that twisting stitches with those huge needles was comfortable. The first four balls of yarn had at least two knots apiece. Also, I somehow underestimated the amount of yarn I would need and had to go back to the LYS across town to get another ball of Baby. And, even with the additional ball, I didn't have enough to finish the second sleeve. I had to undo the bind-off on the first, shorten it, and then finish the second with yarn from the first. Annoying.

She is a cute little thing, and I think she will look very nice with a vintage dress that I have, allowing me to wear it into the fall. I'd've posted a modeled shot, but I'm still a little too annoyed with Fantine to take the time to do a proper photo shoot. Maybe after she gets out of time-out.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Ludmilla said...

Fantine, she is so cute. Wear her in good health -- eventually.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Ludmilla said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I really like the colors of the sock yarn! I was looking at some of it myself....

6:47 PM  
Blogger Dr. B. said...

Congrats on the for-now job, and here's to the perfect job coming right along.

Way to go finishing that little beast of a sweater! It looks very pretty. Impressive. For what it's worth, maybe it's the time of year, but I have also had a rough go with completing things. (Time of year. Right. Let's go with that.)

6:50 PM  
Blogger teesagypsy said...

Congrats on the job! Glad to hear things are looking up for you :)

6:56 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Fantine is a testy one, isn't she? Luckily she has her beauty going for her...

7:34 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Dude, my husband is a corporate suit for big pharma. He is The Man. I tease him relentlessly for this. It's Ok to be educated and successful. Really.

I love those Kaffe socks. Must get me some of that!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Some patterns don't have the right yardage estimates, so it could have been the pattern and not you. I think it's cute, despite all the trouble.

8:46 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Congrats on the job!! And we all work for the man on some level. :)

I have faith that you'll whip Fantine into shape with a fabulous vintage brooch, and forget she ever gave you such troubles.

10:06 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Hopefully your knitting mojo will return as other things look up. I've found that worries and diversions can send any desire to make anything (even lunch!) creep into a hole and hide. Congratulations on the job! Hope you find one that you really really want before long, and that this one eases you back into things. I like Fantine. Hope you two can be reconciled soon. Hugs xxx

4:26 AM  
Blogger Phara said...

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one unenamored with Fantine. I think the cloud of cursing is still hanging over my house somewhere. Yours is really gorgeous though.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Congrats! and best of luck with the new job!

I love the look of the KF sock. I need to keep that colorway in mind - it's lovely :)

8:40 AM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Bummer about fantine. I bet it will look nice on though. Love the socks in progress.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, all the colors you are knitting right now are so yummy! And maybe Fantine will charm you yet. And the way I see it, D&* the man, but take his money first!!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantine, c'est tres jolie. Once you release her from time out, she'll look great with those socks your knitting. I'm an attorney too. Even though I work for THE MAN, I try to stick it to THE MAN as much as I can.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Congratulations on the job! I hope it will lead to bigger and better things for you. Fantine looks lovely, despite being in time-out.

10:33 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

ooh, i love that self-striping yarn. i hope you get your knitting mojo back soon.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Hurray for the job! It's so exciting to start a new one. And those socks...they look like Rib and Cable! I saw your Fantine on Flickr and couldn't figure out if it was for big or little girls. Will enjoy seeing the modeled shot when she gets out of time out. :-)

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started my Fantine sweater yesterday. I must say that I was led to believe that this would be a fast easy knit as well. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do the LCS and RCS. Finally got it figured out with lots of help from a couple of knitting forums. Anyway, I am determined to finish her. In spite of her hateful ways I think she will be lovely when finihsed. I purchased an old rhinestone brooch for my Fantine from the local antique mall for $5.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Congrats on the new job! And Pamela's right; we all work for the man. Fantine is so cute. Sorry to hear she needed a time out.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frustrating though she clearly was, Fantine is a lovely looking little sweater. I hope you will choose to do a modeled shot at some point!

That self-striping yarn is gorgeous.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home