Sunday, February 10, 2008

Still Here

Whew. I can't believe it's been over a month since I posted ... I certainly didn't intend to go so long without blogging. It's amazing how much time working takes up! Heh.

But I have been knitting, if not finishing all those WIPs as I planned to do. For some reason, I'm all about berets lately. Here's one I finished last night.


Pattern: Le Slouch by Wendy Bernard
Yarn: Rowanspun Aran, about two-thirds of a 219-yard skein
Needles: Knit Picks Harmony circulars, sizes 7 and 8
Thoughts: A fun and easy pattern. I started it in seed stitch and then decided along with one of my knitting group friends that the tweedy yarn would look better in stockinette. Note that I used far less than one skein of Rowanspun Aran, and I knitted the slouchy version. The pattern calls for 200 yards of aranweight, but I think you could finish this with much less, especially if you make a less-slouchy version. I am slightly worried that this is going to look like a food service worker hair net on me. But, hey, it will go with my Clapotis.

Generally, I try to remain non-political 'round these parts, but I'm going to make an exception. Being a political junkie and former Hill staffer, I tend to get pretty fired up about national elections. But this year, the Presidential election feels more important than ever.

I believe this country needs a change: a change in our vision for the future, a change in our place in the world, and most of all, a change in our political discourse. I believe we need a leader who can unite people and who will address the many challenges we face as a nation: educating our kids, ending the wars we are fighting on two fronts, achieving energy independence, and protecting the environment. I believe we need a leader who can restore hope. For these reasons, I am supporting Senator Obama.



If you are not inclined to vote or be involved in the elections this year, please reconsider. If you favor a particular candidate, please go out and vote. If you don't, learn about the candidates and then don't forget to support him or her on Election Day. Participation really matters.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

There you are! I have missed you! We hear lot about your election here, and I can only hoping for a Democrat to win! Everybody who can vote should! I have never missed to vote! I had just turned 19 when I had my first chance to vote and I did!

2:06 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

After much consideration, I've also decided to support Obama, for several reasons. I think Clinton would make an excellent president, I am just concerned that there are too many people who have a visceral hatred of her for her to really get elected. I think that Obama presents a clear alternative to McCain, which is appealing. But mostly I am behind Obama because of all of the people he has inspired to get involved in politics--my students (Penn State, mainly central PA. kids) are all really fired up by him, and that is exciting.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

hey, girlie! it's nice to have a candidate that you can get excited about, huh, instead of feeling like you're choosing between the lesser of two evils. pretty beret!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the hat!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Phlel said...

Glad you are knitting.

It does get easier to manage work, kids and knitting.....eventually.

Good you will vote, although I'm not for your candidate. Obama certainly is an excellent candidate and does have a vision. I just wonder who he thinks will pay for all of his ideas. They seem unafordable. I'm way more conservative.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you blogging! Love the hat. When are we getting our groups together??

9:44 AM  
Blogger Marin (AntiM) said...

I'm so glad to see you here. Work sure does interfere with the blogging life, don't it?

5:44 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

i don't know yet how i will vote ... but, i also endorse voting !
i heard on npr one afternoon about a website ... haven't visited it yet, but it's www.votehelp.org ... to help narrow down a candidate that shares your views/values.
obama certainly has my attention though ....

oh! a beret! pretty =)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Dr. B. said...

I was also in a huge blogging slump, but am also trying to get back into the swing of things...

Great hat. Great video. Great things, I hope, are ahead!

Yes. We. Can.

Thanks for posting this.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Hello again, stranger! Glad to hear you've been doing well. Don't worry about the blog - it'll still be here when you have more time!

Good post on Obama. I've been a supporter since I read this article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200712/obama

I just hope that everyone who supports him - mainly the young people - will actually vote this time around.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you again. Don't worry about us readers. We're always fulfilled by your smart, to-the point comments and wowed by the beautiful knitting. Have a lovely weekend. Tricia

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

laura,

he has had evangelical speeches; what policy statements has he made?
i search for substance in a candidate i would like to vote forbut can not because he has no substance.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Just an FYI: for those who are concerned that Obama has no substance, you might want to check out this blog post.

3:23 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Still There?

Miss you, Laura. Hope you and the boys are all OK

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it not worry you that Obama cannot salute the American flag & he has a Muslim background? If not, it should....he is scarey to me. I'm all for conservation but the Democrats are the ones that support the environmentalists which keep us from drilling the oil we already have on our own turf. I am way more conservative than Obama! ...and I sure don't plan on riding in the back of the bus anytime soon!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home