Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I Heart Frogging

How's that for an attention-grabber?

I've been knitting happily along on S's sock, wondering what I would do when I got to the cuff. I had an idea this morning, and carried it out for about 6 or 8 rounds. Then I decided another pattern would look better. So I used the trick I learned from Minty. It rocks! Thanks, Minty!

I put the needle back through the stitches below (through the right side of each "vee"). Then the fun part. RIP!

This little technique has changed my life. Now I frog without fear, for when the ripping is through, all your stitches are sitting nicely on the needle, ready to go, like this. Amazing!

It's true--I love frogging. Now, don't get me wrong. There are times when just the idea of frogging makes me feel nauseous. And those of you who have read "Too Much Information" know my embarrassing newbie knitter story about (not) frogging. But, now, for the most part, it's one of my favorite things about knitting. How many arts or crafts allow for do-overs? Not many!

Since I began reading knitblogs, and blogging, I've really developed as a knitter. The key difference between the Laura of Today and the Laura of Six Months Ago is that I now feel in control of my knitting. I am much more likely to change a pattern, design my own pattern, or forego a pattern all together and just start knitting. I know that if it doesn't work out, I can always frog it, either partially or all the way back to nothing. It's so liberating to know I can use that yarn again. All I've lost is some time--time that I was knitting. That's time well spent even if I have nothing to show for it. Isn't it funny? It's in the unknitting that I feel like a Real Knitter.

12 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

My brain had such a hard time wrapping itself around your title, I actually thought it read "I Hate Frogging" Ha,ha,ha! I have to say that learning to frog without fear is so freeing! It does make you a much better knitter, I think, because you're not afraid to make mistakes anymore. So, hooray for un-knitting! *But I still don't like to do it any more than I have to. *grin*

5:25 PM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

I'm so glad that it was through me that you managed to find this technique! I only recently learned about it, as well, via the knitty.com boards. It's definitely a lifesaver.

I had always thought that I was an accomplished knitter, and then I got into blogging--I learn so much that can improve and enhance my knitting every day. It's really awesome.

5:27 PM  
Blogger chris said...

It IS liberating to be able to frog and do a take two, or three, or however many takes are needed to achieve a result you're happy with. I can't quite say that I *love* it, though. :-) I'm such a newbie that it still makes me a little bit queasy everytime I prepare to rip. You're right though- the more I do it, the more I feel like a "real knitter," in control of the pattern and the results, rather than the other way around. Great insight!

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a great technique!!! I've never seen that! Very cool, thanks for sharing! And see? You're right about learning a lot by reading other people's blogs!!!

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You linked me back to your 100 things, and I read them all again. And laughed again. You and I have some similar quirks, and I'm not telling you which ones. Is it 2008 yet?????

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I wouldn't say I love frogging, it is nice to not knit in fear -- and I can focus on both the process and the end result.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i have learned a lot from blogging also.. amazing the neat things people have to say:)

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tip. I've never made a mistake knitting so it won't be necessary for me personally, but other knitters aren't always perfect, so I'll file the info in case someone I know ever has a problem. :-)

8:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess I'm an oddball...I like frogging. The little pop as each stitch goes...kind of a bubble wrap thing.

I like thinking of it as unknitting.

The socks are a great color, what yarn are you using?

2:09 PM  
Blogger sparkli said...

oh my gosh, i love you.

this is the greatest idea ever. EVER.

lately i feel the same way, i have more control of my knitting and i am not afraid to try other stitches, that look hard. lol.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Congrats on your frogging revelation! I'm right there with you on the do-over thing. I love that you can tweak until you're happy with it. Another thing you may try is the lifeline if you haven't already. It's especially great when your stitches aren't neatly arranged in stockinette and it isn't as easy to just insert your needles back in whenever you want.

And I wholeheartedly agree with learning a bunch from reading blogs. Like the Tubular cast on that Grumperina talked about a couple of days ago. Didn't know that there was such a thing as a non-binding caston perfect for 1x1 ribbing!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

OMG, Laura, you totally put me to shame with this post, after I just got done blogging about how deviating from patterns paralyzes me. I do it if I have to, and I guess I don't mind ripping (because it's about the process, people, process). I dunno, I guess I feel that once I drive off the paved road into the brush, I may never find my way back! But your post is definitely inspirational. :-)

Remember that shrug I was knitting, like, two months ago? I'm thinking about ripping it, b/c my row gauge is totally off. Maybe doing even something else entirely. See? The influence you have?

Also, I have to say that I heart the blogs as well! I used to be on knitlist...still am actually, but I just never read it anymore! I learned so much from that list, but ultimately it was too many emails to wade through, and blogs are just so much more pretty.

p.s. love that yarn!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home