Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Amazing Lace Poetry Challenge

The Shetland Triangle shawl is finished. She's been a fantastic, easygoing, fun, and cooperative teammate. Our knitter was delighted that the current Amazing Lace challenge would allow her to express her appreciation to Shetland in poetic form. Laura looked all over for inspiration. After all, poetry is all around us.

She looked to Ancient Rome.

Let us knit, my Lace, and love ...
Knit me a thousand stitches, then a hundred,
Then another thousand, then a second hundred,
Then yet a thousand, then a hundred,
Then when we have knit up many thousands,
We will confuse our counting, that we may know the value of lifelines...

She considered modern American poetry ...


so much depends upon
nice sharp needles
that aren't too grabby
when knitting up lace

She looked east, to Germany, and the World Cup.

I'm a thrower 'til I die,
I'm a thrower 'til I die,
I'll win the Amazing Lace,
And the pickers will cry!

Not surprisingly, Laura found inspiration on her iPod.

My mother was a Japanese silkworm
In a Blue Sky mill town,
Cocooned in filaments so divine.
And she met my father at a mill near Lima, Peru,
An alpaca who lived in the shadow of the great Macchu Picchu.

And there on the spindle,
By fingers so nimble,
Their fibers were mingled
And spun into sportweight
And sold to a knitblogger who lived in Ohio.


In the end, words really failed to pay adequate tribute to this lace project. Shetland Triangle was a constant delight as a teammate and is now a beautiful FO. The next project to join Team affiknitty in the Amazing Lace has large holes to fill, indeed.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mintyfresh said...

beautiful shawl!! let's see it on you.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Bravo Bravo! Now we need an action shot. :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

LOVE it! :)

1:16 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Fabulous, fabulous entry! You are such a clever girl. I originally wanted to do an Emily Dickinson-style poem, but then, meh. Got lazy. ;-)

1:24 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Lovely ode to a lovely shawl -- well done!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Lovely shawl and inspired poetry. Your wheelbarrow must be much cleaner than mine! Modeled shot please?

8:21 AM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Great entry--and the shawl looks wonderful!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's gorgeous! I love the tribute. :-)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely, lovely shawl!

Your humorous poetic tributes made me wonder if you might enjoy the latest issue of _Poetry_ magazine--their humor issue. The poems were not all equally amusing, but some of them had me laughing until I was crying.

In any event, thanks for a very clever post!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Lace and poetry? How can you beat that? The shawl looks simply exquisite.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! I think the ancient Rome one is my favorite. Though having just come from World Cup-crazed Europe I like that one too.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home