Monday, October 24, 2005

Coming Clean

Back when I flashed my stash ... I was not totally honest. I believe I said that I have "a lot" of Lion Brand Wool-Ease. But only a portion of that was actually pictured. I counted today, and rounding up (mostly entire skeins count as whole ones), I have (gulp) 44 skeins. That includes yarn that is currently being used in a WIP.

I know I said that I am not embarrassed to admit that I like Wool-Ease. And I do like it. Lots of colors, easy to find, inexpensive, wears pretty well, good for kids' stuff. But there's a whole lot of wonderful yarn out there, and Wool-Ease is, well, boring. I mean, Knit Picks has every manner of yummy fiber for low, low prices. Plus, Cascade 220 comes in superwash! And who wants to read a blog where every FO is made with Lion Brand? No one! So I am making a pledge. No more buying Lion Brand.

But in the interest of frugality, I'm going to use the Wool-Ease. Eventually. In order to make this effort slightly more interesting to blog, I have put a note on the sidebar about my progress in reducing the LB stash. So, if I haven't lost you already, stay tuned and see how I knit my way through a Big Honkin' Mountain of Wool-Ease!

In related and Socktoberfest news, I have one (almost) finished sock! As you can see, I still have to graft the toe. It's knit in Wool-Ease, natch. The pattern is "Log Cabin socks" from Handknit Holidays. These are ostensibly for Mr. affiknitty's birthday, though they're not going to be ready in time (it's, um, tomorrow). I told him that if I made them from 100% wool they'd be super toasty and more breathable. This led to the following dialogue:

Mr. affiknitty: Breathable? What do you mean?

Me: I mean, the moisture might get trapped in these socks made of acrylic. You know, your feet might feel a little clammy.

Mr. A: Better clammy than itchy.

Sigh. Oh well. More details on the socks will follow when I can blog the finished pair.

8 Comments:

Blogger MiniLaura said...

don't be embarrassed about your Wool Ease. I've seen larger stashes of Cotton Ease!

I like Wool Ease for baby stuff, too. I refuse to knit baby stuff out of anything too pricey or is labeled "hand wash." Heck, it's for a BABY.

3:08 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I have a huge bag of Wool-Ease upstairs for a sweater for the hubby. I figured it's relatively soft (esp. once it's washed) and cheap--so it's right up B's alley. A whole sweater for under $35! I'd much rather read about a huge Wool-Ease stash than a bunch of scratchy and expensive FOs that don't get worn. *grin*

4:18 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

The Man chose some wool ease for his first socks and I have yet to hear any complaints from him! I actually wore my wool-ease socks yesterday (they were the first pair of socks I made, worsted weight) and I didn't feel clammy.
I have more cotton ease than you have wool ease!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

*Raises hand tentatively* Ummm... I like Wool-ease too.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be a yarn snob until I have a bout with poverty. Then I learned the value of decent yarn at a good price! (Lion's new yarns aren't cheap, though.) Let's hope they don't discontinue Wool Ease like they did with Cotton Ease.

1:16 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Holy cow!! 44 skeins??!! I think that's more yarn than I have in my entire stash! :-) I like Wool-Ease, too. Inexpensive, machine washable and a myriad of colors. Your sock looks fantastic!! You manage to make Wool-Ease look like cashmere- really beautiful work.

And Happy Birthday to Mr. Affiknitty! As for the fiber conversation, I've long since given up trying to understand male logic.

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Love how that sock is turning out. Just might have to take another look at that book that it's from.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Hmmm . . . better clammy than itchy, eh? I use merino for my baby all the time, and it's not nearly as itchy as Wool Ease. Some people just have some weird ideas about wool, don't they? Like it's *all* itchy. :-)

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home