Friday, February 03, 2006

Ever So Slightly Obsessed


All I want is...socks. Here's my latest project, Nautilus by Anna Bell. Kind of hard to see the pattern, but it's a lovely lace rib. I'm using Koigu KPPM #P850. Actually, the colors are fairly true in the picture. It's looking to be a wonderful marriage of yarn and pattern. But it's not a mindless knit, at least not for me, the Lace Novice. So, I had to cast on these...

I know, I know! I said I was done with Jaywalkers for a while. But it is a great pattern for self-striping yarn, and it's easy and mindless while not being totally boring. The yarn is Jessie's A Piece of Vermont self-striping yarn in a colorway she calls "Preppy." So cute. But I'm going to have to frog this, because it's going to be too big, and I don't have smaller needles that don't make me want to scream. So I'm either going to have to place an emergency Patternworks order, or find another pattern.

Check out those lovely toes, if I don't say so myself. Turkish cast on, you rock my little world. Speaking of socks, did you see Bonne Marie's recent post on sock knitting, and her cool button?

I got my sock pal for Sockapaloooza, and I am so excited that it's all getting started! My sock pal is blogless though, so I can't blogstalk her for inspiration. Also, her foot is a different size than mine and I am a little nervous about getting the right fit. I am planning to start researching patterns, yarns, the issue of negative ease, etc. this weekend. Fun, fun, fun! Suggestions and advice are more than welcome.

CONTEST UPDATE: Tomorrow, I am going to draw the names from those who have left a comment on one of the posts starting with Monday's. I hope to post the winners tomorrow as well, but it's the weekend and for this stay-at-home mom, that's often the hardest time to post. So I may not get to it until late Saturday night or even Sunday. But you won't have to wait for long!

21 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

after seeing you cast on for 2 pairs i might have to break my current "one at a time" rule and cast on for a second pair. yours are just so inspiring - colors gorgeous! i have seen the jaywalkers being done with the self striping more and more and i love the look.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I must say - you do have beautiful toes!! I love the colors in both of those yarns.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Another Jaywalker! Hee hee. Gotta love that pattern....

11:09 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I've never heard of the preppy yarn, very cute! And it's easy to be obsessed with Koigu.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Turkish Cast On looks great. I've done with a few socks and always seem to get a little space between those first rows. What kind of increases do you use?

11:24 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

The photos look great. My sockpal is also blogless - sad, isn't it?

11:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

To answer Jessica's question, Anna calls for a M1 increase in the Nautilus pattern, but I didn't like the way it looked. I had holes on the sides. So I did the standard knit into front and back of the first and last stitch on each needle. That looks much better, I think.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:48 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

You apparently go for the toe-up patterns, too, I see. I had to laugh at you casting on more Jaywalkers already! I need to try this pattern soon because (apparently) it's quite addictive.

My sock pal doesn't have a blog, either. . . .*sigh* I feel a little in the dark.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Nautilus looks gorgeous so far! I'm not much for toe up socks, myself. I like heel flaps too much, I guess! Lovely lovely toes, though!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's socks all the time! Actually that sounds quite lovely, knitting socks all the time. You'll have very well dressed feet.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

I really like that yarn for the jaywalker. And the lace pattern is great too!

I've got two different socks on the needles right now. I'm determined to actually finish an entire pair!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

*squeal with delight* What pretty sock yarn! And 2 at a time. What an ambitious sock knitter you are. I hope to get back to my Jaywalkers this weekend. Poor things are stuck at about an inch.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I think probably DON'T knit your pal Jaywalkers! LOL! Have you seen Sockbug? There are lots of nice patterns over there.

I like the colorway for your Jaywalkers & Preppy is the perfect name for it.

Glad you liked the Sharon Olds! I'll have to check out that Billy Williams.

3:58 PM  
Blogger amandazen said...

Jaywalkers seem to be like Lays potato chips you cannot just make one. :)

You always have such great colors for your projects...

Amanda

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So YOU'RE the one that got the 'preppy' colorway. Hrmph. Not sure I can talk to you anymore :-p~~

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so excited to see that you're giving the Giotto socks a try! and such a beautiful colourway.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

I just found my way over here, and I'll be coming back - those are GORGEOUS socks! I love the colorway, and I hadn't seen nautilus before. Really really pretty.

6:41 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Is it the socks or the yarn though that is so enchanting? Ther is something about the cuteness of tiny dpns that is a pleasure in and of itself. Like tiny cans or sample sizes ;) ***CV

11:38 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Hi, Laura! So sorry for the late comment... I've been stuck in 2-sick-kids Purgatory for the past two days. :-P I LOVE that Nautilus pattern and your Koigu is just GORGEOUS!! I have yet to try Koigu, but I've heard that it's worth all the hype and then some. And hello, beautiful, would you look at that Preppy yarn!! (You really need to stop putting those tempting links in...;-)) I've been meaning to try that Turkish cast-on since reading about it in FluffyKnitterDeb's posts. Your toe really looks awesome! Take care and have a great Sunday! :-)

4:00 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

two at once, how decadent! i'm inspired. i just cast on for a pair of socks with my new koigu kersti even though i'm going to be starting jaywalkers on friday for the olympics.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home