Friday, July 21, 2006

Winners!

The random number generator has spoken!

Amanda of Bulldog Knits has won the Piece of Vermont sock yarn! Frequent and longtime readers of this blog will know that Amanda and I were co-hosts of the Cover Your Head knitalong.

Shannon of Yarn and Chocolate won the Knit Picks laceweight! You all must pop over to her blog, scroll down, and see her Cotton-Ease stash. I am quite literally green with envy.

Savida of Delinquent Croissant has won the book! Savida designs and knits some fabulous hats -- go take a look.

Ok, winners, send me an email at affiknitty at gmail dot com with your snail mail address. And Savida, let me know what book you'd like.

A few people ventured answers to the silly non-contest questions. There were some good guesses.

A long while back, Big Lug wrote a post about Neko Case, describing her as her husband's "rock and roll girlfriend." For some reason, that really tickled me. I knew immediately who my rock and roll boyfriend would be -- Colin Meloy of the Decemberists. Sigh. If you are an English major-type with a slightly whacked sense of humor and a love of indie pop, do yourself a big favor and dash off to your nearest record store. You won't be sorry.

My favorite blouse is blue.

Of course, I could never have my own indie pop band, because I play no instruments and can't carry a tune with a wheelbarrow. But it's a fantasy nonetheless. Rachel made an excellent guess -- The Clementines -- which I like so much that it will now become my Fantasy Side Project Band. As Ben Gibbard has the Postal Service, so I will have the Clementines. But the name of my fantasy band is Countless Screaming Argonauts. It comes from "Birdhouse in Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants:

There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off and countless screaming argonauts...

The final correct answer is true. I was, in fact, the very first Homecoming Queen of the Escola Americana de Campinas. Some mother got the idea that we needed to do something to bring a little American-type high school culture to our international school, and thus my senior year we instituted Homecoming. Lest you think that my coronation was the mark of extreme popularity, I will tell you that there were only five girls in my senior class. Pictures, Kathy? Are you crazy?

9 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Congrats to all the winners, and thanks for sharing the fun answers. May I call you "Her Majesty" from now on?? :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

Congrats to all the winner! And Laura, we DO need to se some photo's on the Homecoming queen.. :)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Congrats to the winners!

Countless Screaming Argonauts... That's a classic! I found myself singing along to the lyrics as I read them. I love TMBG. Do your kids watch TMBG's ABC's? Great DVD.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have added to your fantasy music projects! I'm also giving myself partial credit for guessing that a member of TMBG was your rock-star boyfriend when in fact your fantasy band name is from a TMBG song. My psychic powers must have been picking up some static.

10:20 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I must say I'm terribly excited to have won the yarn! And I know it's trite, but I really don't ever win anything. :)
I love the title of your band! Whenever the Hubby and I run across a weird pairing of words we like to say, "That'd be a great name for a band." But in your case it would actually make sense!
Oh, and tying in with Jennifer's comment--if your kids haven't seen TMBG's ABC's video, you've got to get it pronto! We like it so much that it has become our family's gift to all kids on their 2nd birthday. :)

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats winners!

mmmm....Colin Meloy..yummy

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to the winners!

I absolutely love the idea of your being the Homecoming Queen...and beating out a grand total of four other girls for the honor.

They Might Be Giants is also one of my favorites!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

Thank you Laura!!!

My blog's name is my fantasy band name - I thought it up back in high school. I had forgotten about it until I started the blog - I figure I am never really going to be in a band, but I can still use the name!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Holy crap, Laura! That's certainly one way of getting people to de-lurk!

Please please please, can we see the homecoming photos? I posted some pretty embarassing pics myself (if you clickety click on the linky) just today, so I'm out to get everyone else to do the same!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home