Wednesday, February 01, 2006

If I Were Going to Do the Knitting Olympics...

...which I am not, because I have already committed to a position of Zen-like calm and lovingkindness toward myself and my knitting, it would be because I am a joiner and I really love all the knitting teams that are popping up.

I have to tell you, when I heard about Team Wales, I was tempted to reverse my decision and plunge into the madness. I'm going to sound like a Big Dork, but I heart Brenda Dayne. The words Pick up your pointy sticks, it's time to Cast On make me practically giddy. Let us not forget that knitting podcast pioneer, Marie Irshad of KnitCast.

And who could resist this button? It's so cool!

But if I were to be a Knitting Olympian, which I am not, I would want to knit for Team Iceland. As far as I can tell, no one has started a Team Iceland, which is practically criminal, considering that it is the Home of Lopi! There are many other wonderful things about Iceland, besides the sheep, if that weren't enough. From what I have heard, it is a charming place. It is cold and green, which we all know I love, and it has volcanoes!

Culturally, it has much to offer. I have already expressed my devotion to Sigur Ros, who create the most beautiful, otherworldly, innovative music ever. Two of my favorite bloggers are writing from Iceland, Sheep and No City and The Iceland Weather Report (motto: "Cooler Than Thou. On Some Days.").

Here is a picture of me in one of my favorite sweaters, which is from Iceland. My mother bought it in the airport in Reykjavik, which means she probably paid way too much for it. It is ridiculously oversized and makes me look as big as the side of a fjord. And it's a little itchy. But it is really warm, and I love it. My mom was about to give it to Goodwill (like Oxfam for you non-Americans), but I saved it.

Anyway, there really ought to be a Team Iceland. So if any of you crazy Knitting Olympians decide to form a team, I'll be cheering you on!

11 Comments:

Blogger Sonya said...

What a great sweater! "And remember, if you're cold, put on a sweater. That's what they're for." I heart Brenda Dayne too. Your zen-like calm must be very strong to resist the siren call of the knitting Olympics.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Brenda Dayne is so much fun to listen to. "Knit... knit like the wind." I wish!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Cast-On! I thought about joining (or, asking to join) the Welsh team but I decided to break from the pack and form my own Scottish Team (of which there are two members, heh).

10:49 AM  
Blogger Alda said...

Hi Laura! I must say, the knitting community continues to surprise me - knit teams?? I have never even heard of such a thing. But I'm sure it's a great idea.

Nor did I have any idea about that other blog you mention in Iceland. Must check out.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words. You have a great blog here as well.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

I never blogged about this movie, although I had every intention to--The Girl in the Cafe. I think you would love it! It's got Bill Nighy (from Love, Actually) and Kelly MacDonald (Gosford Park), and it's this quirky love story where this guy, who's an assistant to the prime minister or something like that, meets this quiet, unassuming girl in a cafe. He has to go to the G8 summit, and invites her along, and it turns out that she's the only one there willing to speak the truth about world poverty.

Oh, and the reason I mentioned it was because the summit takes place in Reykjavik!

11:58 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:07 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oregon is cold, green, and has volcanoes, too--and we're a lot closer! Well, since you're way out in OH, we're only about 800 miles closer than Reykjavik, but you're still welcome to visit anytime you need a volcano fix. ;)

(I had to remove my first post because of a typo--I'm OCD like that. . . *sigh*)

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh great, a contest!!! This is too nice of you!! I too want to participate
By the way, I love your blog and everything you do! And I am a sucker for Lord of the rings ;)

1:34 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I'm thinking that Team Iceland may just need a rallying cry to flock to.... hmmm, something not unlike this post, even. ;-) And I'm thinking that Team Iceland may not need Icelandic Cheerleaders, but rather, strong contenders with equally strong homeland sentiment.... hmm, perhaps someone not unlike you, even ;-) Just kidding! Just trying to mess with your Zen. I'm not doing the Olympics, either, but I'm sooo tempted to join. I have to keep resisting daily, so I'm right there with you, coveting cool buttons but.. resisting...so far... ;-) Take care, Laura! :-)

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were a betting woman (and I am not, having wasted $5 in nickels during my one trip to Vegas) I would lay odds that you will, in fact, be signing up at the veeerrrrry last minute. Zen is admirable, of course, but you sound so tempted!

6:32 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

There's a story behind the Red Dragon of Wales and I believe it also involves a black dragon. I'll have to go look it up. I joined Team Goth ;) ***CV

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home