Monday, April 24, 2006

A Winner, and Betrayed By My Knitting

We have a winner of the Vesper sock yarn in AquaMelon. It's ... Jenn from Knit n' Lit! Jenn, I hope you don't mind, it's already wound. Now that I have that ball winder and swift, I couldn't resist. Drop me an email, OK?

I came to the sad conclusion over the weekend that I will need to start both the top-down raglan and Audrey over again. ("Starting over" sounds so much less demoralizing than "ripping out.") The former was looking too big, and the latter a bit too small. I think that I will set aside the Katia Diana sweater for awhile, because I was hoping for a summery type sweater, and that yarn will be too warm. Back to Audrey, and this time I think I will knit the body in the round to the armholes.

In the meantime, I really was feeling the need for some comfort food knitting. Then I read Stephanie's post about the Irish Hiking Scarf, and that sounded like just the ticket. So I cast on, but I changed it a little to incorporate the double-knitting slip-stitch edge from the Backyard Leaves scarf. And I started that second Pansy Jaywalker. I'm sure you all are waiting with bated breath to see if it pools like the other one did. I am!

13 Comments:

Blogger Mintyfresh said...

1. So sorry to see that you must frog two sweaters and start over! I just discovered that I have to redo the (finished, seamed, etc) Sunrise Circle Jacket, so I know your pain.

2. So happy to see your correct use of "bated breath." No one gets that right in blogland.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

comfort food knitting - that describes it perfectly!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yay for Jenn - sock yarn!

I'm ignoring the news about your two sweaters - too depressing. But you are making the right choice and I applaud your fortitude. :)

I can't wait to see your Hiking Scarf - it will be cool to see the differences between ours.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That's too bad about having to start the sweaters over again. You will be happier that you did though.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Woo Hoo! I'm so excited - and half of that excitement comes from knowing that the yarn is already wound! I need me one of them there ball winders! :)
I love the Irish Hiking Scarf - it's nice and mostly mindless with a little bit of "action" to keep you on your toes!
Can't wait to see all of your "new" projects!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ouch, ripping always hurts . . . . but it's so worth it in the end. I love the term Comfort Food Knitting - LOL!!!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Yay! A post from Laura. Even though it's about someone else winning yarn this time. :-) I think it's about time I hold a contest too! I just need to decide what. Hmmm.

So sorry about your "starting over." I agree with Stephanie...you'll be glad you did when the sweaters fit right. And I doubly agree with Minty on the use of "bated." Hurray for English majors!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Brianne said...

Sorry about the sweaters! How frustrating to have to 'start over'. (Love that phrase. You're so right, it is much better than 'ripping out'.)

The Irish Hiking Scarf is so simple but turns out beautifully! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your audrey finished. I like your blog and will link you.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

ztcan't wait to see your audrey finished. I like your blog and will link you. I have knit two irish hiking scarves and absolutely love the pattern. i think you will too.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm, well I'm told that the key to being a good designer is having the balls (sorry for the lack of a better expression here) to critically look at your knitting and rip it out when you see that it's not going so well. Hang in there. Comfort knitting is definitely the ticket here...

2:46 AM  
Blogger sparkli said...

i def. cant wait to see if that other jaywalker pools the same way. that's the craziest pooling i have ever seen!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Ach! I feel your frogging pain. I'm so glad, though, to hear you've created something in the meantime that's more immediately satisfying. Knitting giveth and knitting taketh away.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home