Monday, December 04, 2006

Guess What? More Socks!

Pattern: Mintyfresh's Anastasia Socks
Yarn: Hand-dyed Knit Picks Bare Merino sock yarn (color, Umbrella Drink)
Needles: 2 mm (US 0) Addi Turbo 40 inch circulars
Modifications: Minty wrote this toe-up sock pattern with a provisional cast-on; I did a Turkish cast-on instead. I made them shorter ankle socks, because (1) I am lazy and (2) I have several more pairs of socks to make.

Thanks, Minty, for such a great pattern! I highly recommend it to all of you for use with your handpainted and variegated yarns. There's a little something of interest going on, but the pattern does not obscure the yarn. Also, it's soothing to knit while not being boring. I started these on Labor Day weekend for my sister Lisa, and they sat in the knitting basket for far too long. I am very glad to have them done!

On Saturday, I felt the need to dye more yarn. It cheers me up. My mission was true blue, deep but not as dark, purplish or variegated as the worsted I dyed back in September. This, which I am calling Atlantic, is what I got with about 17 packets of kool-aid: 12 packets of berry blue, 4 of ice blue raspberry lemonade, 1 grape and about a third of a black cherry. The picture appears darker than the true color. It's not quite as deep as I wanted; next time I think I will use more grape or black cherry. My quest to achieve the perfect blue must continue.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Laura B said...

That color is great! I'm seriously impressed that you got that with kool-aid!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look so cozy! Thanks for the pattern link. And that blue is my exact favorite color; I think I need to go buy Kool-aid now!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks to me as though you're getting some pretty damn nice blues on your way to the ultimate blue!

I like that sock pattern -- it has a little whimsy to it, which I think is appropriate for a sock yarn called "umbrella drink." :)

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't even tell you the smile on my face right now, to see your finished anastasias!!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

What? More socks?! ;-) The colors in your Anastasias are perfectly lovely! And I really dig the Atlantic yarn...just gorgeous.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I love that sock pattern. Perfect for the yarn. That Kool-aid is some amazing stuff!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great! And that's a wonderful blue...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

You are right, that pattern is wonderful for varigated socks. I love the blue. It makes me chuckle when people dye using Kool Aid. Who would have thunk it. I remember trying to make sure my children did not spill the kool aid on surfaces!!!

2:49 PM  
Blogger mary said...

Beautiful blue yarn and gorgeous socks. They remind me of those Big Stick popsicles I loved as a kid.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That blue is fantastic! The dye bug has hit you big time!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

cute socks!! I love the color, you did a great job dying it. This is kind of off topic, but I hope you'll humor me for a minute. I recently heard "The Mariner's Revenge Song" and I LOVE it, but I haven't heard anything else by the Decemberists. I remembered that you've mentioned how much of a Decemberists fan you are so I was going to ask you what's a good place to start, and do they often have that kick ass pirate-esque sound in their songs? :-)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Love the socks! I have a pair of those on the needles that I am neglecting as well - after the holidays!

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look so beautiful! Love the colors - like vacation colors!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your socks! The look great as anklets!

And your latest dye job is wonderful. I still haven't gotten around to trying it myself, but I remain intrigued...

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your socks! The look great as anklets!

And your latest dye job is wonderful. I still haven't gotten around to trying it myself, but I remain intrigued...

8:34 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Thanks for the pattern link! I love that color. Your blue yarn is a great blue. What fun!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Cute socks - I think the pattern is well suited to ankles, and it's not like they're made out of Lopi or something! I'm sure they'll be loved.

12:12 AM  
Blogger jennie said...

lovely socks! The color is amazing... it almost makes me want to try dying (almost!)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Adorable! I think I like this pattern better as an ankle sock.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Kate A. said...

Thanks for the link to that pattern - Im definitely going to try it. It looks lovely, plus I loved the Anastasia Krupnik books! :-)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

I love that blue! And your socks are really cute. I love the colors in that too!

11:47 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I love that pattern! I even have yarn to use for it . . . once I get the Pomatomai done. :)

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home